Wednesday 10 June 2009

Treasure hunt party in historical park

Hi Nikki-

I am planning a 'treasure hunt' party. There will be around 10 kids between the ages of 9 and 12. Some parents may stay for the party as well. We are having the party (in one of the outdoor pavilions) at a local state park. I plan to set up several stations (in the pavilion itself) where the kids have to complete a 'challenge' in order to continue (as you suggest in the original plan). The park is a historical civil war site, and has a rather long trail and about a dozen historical markers scattered along the trail. I obviously can't dig a hole at the park, and I am hesitant to place the 'treasure' along the trail for fear that someone else will encounter it and either take it or move it. Ideally, I would love for each of the kids to have a more individualized 'treasure hunt' at the end of completing the activities at the tables in the pavilion. I also thought that maybe the kids could work in pairs, and that would be good.

So here is my idea at the moment...... After breaking up into pairs, the kids would complete each of about a half dozen activities in the pavilion area. They would pick up a piece of the puzzle at the completion of each activity (again, I have no problem with devising 4 or 5 different puzzles - one individualized for each team). So, at the completion of the activities the kids will have either a map or a picture (or both) of their final destination. They would have to locate this destination and answer a question, or some other challenge type thing in order to get the treasure. Once the kids complete the final question or 'challenge' they would return to the pavilion and turn in the answer (or whatever) in order to receive their treasure. The treasure itself will be a little box that includes the party favors, so each child will get a 'treasure'. The part where I have the dilemma is what the actual final destination or challenge would be. I want it to be fun for t he kids, and not like work or a school field trip, for example.

Time hiking the trail with the markers could be an issue as well. I hiked the trail this morning, alone, and at a pretty good pace, and it took me about an hour. I only have about 3 hours for the party in all. Although I don't mind hiking a portion of the trail, and we will probably end up letting the kids do that, I don't want to be rushed, or hiking around in the woods for a large part of the party. I would rather the kids and parents relax and enjoy themselves in a more freeform way.... if that makes sense.

If you have any ideas, that would be great. I love the initial plan. It's perfect. I'm going to modify it a little to meet our particular needs.

Thanks.

Sam Neil, Virginia USA

More details on a great Treasure Hunt Party Game here

No comments: