Saturday 27 June 2009

Writing own rhyming clues for treasure hunt

Hello,

I recently ordered both the treasure hunt and pirate package from you. The material I received helped because this Treasure hunt is for 25 of my two sons close friends ages 12-14, which means the hunt is in a 3 mile area around our neighborhood and the clues (15 in all) need to be challenging.

I drew out 4 maps ( with burned edges !) giving the familiar landmarks different names, i.e... a church is renamed The Holy Ground, the firehouse is named The House of Hose and Ax, a big clay mound located near a baseball field is called Blood Mt.... The teams will have different colored bandannas and each team member will be giving a title and responsibility during the hunt.( I want this to be a team building experience) so..

The Captain holds and read the map, The Scholar is read all the clues out loud and hold on to them, the Pathfinder holds and uses the compass for the team, the Musician plays and holds an instrument (a plastic

flute) when called upon, the 1st Mate?s job is to make sure all rules are followed and to keep the team together.. etc...

Coming up with the clues was very time consuming because I wanted them to be challenging and to rhyme. (The first clue for one of the teams is 'Proceed SW as swift as you can, till thou is standing on sacred land. Get close to the bronze statue made up of three, then search for a clue below the knees' ) Also, the clues couldn't be the same because each team?s path is different and I had to make sure that the distance traveled was fair (there are hills), as well as having them come from a different direction towards the 'treasure', and I walked each path myself.

The treasure is a real wooden chest, a size of a bread box, filled with play jewels and candy. It will be hidden near a bank of rocks under some foliage.

I'm excited for The Hunt to begin and I hope everything goes as planned!! If this turns out to be a big hit among the kids, I might start my own business planning treasure hunts!

Thanks,

Lisa, Alabama USA

More details on a great Pirate Treasure Hunt here

No comments: